Monday, March 05, 2007

Mass Movie Reviews 3

The following two movies I have watched before but it's been many years and I re-watched them just this weekend so I thought I would review them for you. The third movie I happened to catch on AMC this afternoon.

The Fisher King
Shock jock Jack Lucas makes a comment to a disturbed listener of his radio show who then goes to a bar and opens fire on a group of unarmed, innocent bystanders. One of the people killed in the barrage of gunfire was Parry's wife. Parry sinks into a catatonic state and Jack sinks into a depression. Years later Parry wakes and is released to become a charming homeless man who teaches Jack the real meaning of love and life.

It wasn't bad - not awesome but not lousy either. How can you not like a movie that has both Robin Williams and Michael Jeter? There was also a small role for David Hyde Pierce of Frasier fame.

Starring: Jeff Bridges, Robin Williams, and Mercedes Ruehl.


The Four Feathers
Jack Durrance has everything going for him. He's recently engaged to a beautiful woman who is madly in love with him and he is rising up the ranks of the British army all the while surrounded by his four closest friends. When the announcement comes that his regiment will be shipped off to war in the Sudan, Jack resigns his commission. When three of his friends and his fiancé learn what he has done, they each send him a white feather to symbolize what they see as his cowardice. He tortures himself with self-doubt and eventually makes his way to the Sudan and joins up with the British army but this time in disguise. He then attempts to redeem himself in the eyes of his four friends and fiancée.

I really liked this movie. I liked it as much this time as when I'd watched it before. I had read somewhere that Kate Hudson had turned down the lead role of Mary Jane in Spider-Man in order to take the role of the fiancé, Ethne and the comment was made that she must surely be regretting that decision. I don't know why the critics and commenters on Netflix didn't like this movie but I recommend it. There are some battle scenes and some tense moments but mostly it's more of a love story than anything else.

Starring: Heath Ledger, Kate Hudson and Djimon Hounsou


Anatomy of a Murder
When Lt. Frederick Manion's wife Laura was raped he took a gun to the bar where the rapist worked and shot the man to death. He confessed to the murder and now it is the job of lawyer Paul Biegler (played by James Stewart) to help exonerate Lt. Manion. He uses a temporary insanity excuse for a plea of not guilty but is it true or has Lt. Manion tricked everyone, even his own defense lawyer?

I really enjoyed this movie. Shot in 1959, it is a black and white but don't let that dissuade you from watching this movie. The courtroom arguments were as compelling as any Law & Order episode or John Grisham novel of modern times. Excellent movie!

Starring: James Stewart, Lee Remick, Ben Gazzara and Arthur O'Connell

1 comment:

mel said...

I was thinking of getting anatomy of a murder before you made the review. I think Netflix recommended it to me or something based on my queue. Glad you liked it...I will have to get it soon.