Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Video Games Are Good For You?

About a month ago one of Ty's friends introduced him to an online RPG. Ty enjoyed being able to join up with his school friends in this fantasy world and I thought it was cute to hear him and his friend discussing when they could get back online and play together next. Ty introduced S3 to the game and suddenly things started changing around here.

I wouldn't say to you that my boys exactly hate each other but they have different interests, different personalities and different goals. They do fight, sometimes a lot. But lately I've noticed an amazing phenomenon. S3 helps Ty study. Ty helps S3 with his chores. They want to sit near each other at the dinner table. They both fight to get the back seat of the van so they can sit together. Why?

So they can get back to the game.

When Ty has homework, S3 cheers him on so he'll get done faster and they can play online together. When S3 has chores to complete, Ty helps him so he'll get done faster and they can play online together. They want to sit together so they can plan out their strategies for the next time they're playing. They're cooperating. They're agreeing. They're not fighting!

Of course I can see down sides to this too. Ty let it slip this morning that they'd gotten up at 2AM and snuck downstairs to the computer. They are rather obsessive at the moment but I know that like all other obsessions we've experienced, this one is just as fleeting. I'll keep an eye on them and make sure they see the sunlight every once in a while but for now I'm going to enjoy the peace.

3 comments:

Velda said...

lol we've used video games as bribes I'm not ashamed to say :)

hollyday said...

Wow, I wish my guys would do that--video games cause them to fight more lol ;). But then they're younger than your guys if I remember correctly, so maybe that has something to do with it? Anyway congratulations on the peace--enjoy it! ((Hugs))

Little Miss Flossy said...

That's so funny - anything for a bit of peace eh?