Saturday, December 09, 2006

Brilliant!

Last night I was running late for work because of the kids' concert at school and when I got about a block from my house and saw a lot of cars and some flashing lights I thought there had been an accident. Reasoning that I was late and that they'd probably be making us all turn around anyway and watching the guy in front of me turn around and head the other direction brought me to the decision to make a quick U-turn in the middle of the road.

It was not one of my better decisions.

The police officer who pulled me over said, "You do realize you made an illegal U-turn right in front of me?"

No wait, it gets worse.

He says, "When we're doing a DUI check and cars start making U-turns we tend to get a little suspicious."

No wait, it gets worse.

We'd just had the van in the shop a while ago and I'd taken out the registration and insurance papers.

He says, "There is a $300 fine attached to not carrying your registration papers with you in the vehicle."

I'm not sure if it was the soccer mom van, the nursing scrubs or the copious tears but he said it was my lucky day because I seemed like a good person and he was really just looking for DUIs tonight.

Note to self: You are an idiot.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no!!! Glad you didn't end up with a ticket. I cried my way out of a speeding ticket once, not my proudest moment.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness. Not good but I'm glad he was nice about it. Bet you don't do that again. ;) (((Hugs))) hon!

Anonymous said...

Whoops. Knowing my luck, I would have ended up with the ticket.

Anonymous said...

still one of my favorite stories.