Thursday, December 14, 2006

Strangers with Candy

Well I'm strange and I made candy... That counts doesn't it?

Yesterday I began the candy making phase of Christmas. I usually make a little box up for the bus driver, the postman and my neighbors and I try to make different candies every year with one exception. Peanut Brittle. I always get lots of compliments on my brittle and I really think it has everything to do with the Watkins Vanilla that I use. In any case, here is my recipe and photo guide for making 10 Minute Peanut Brittle.


10 Minute Peanut Brittle
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup sugar

  • 1/2 cup light corn syrup

  • 1/8 tsp. salt

  • 1 to 1 1/2 cups peanuts

  • 1 Tbsp. butter

  • 1 tsp. vanilla

  • 1 tsp. baking soda



Combine sugar, syrup and salt in 2 qt. casserole or mixing bowl.







Microwave on high for 5 minutes. Be VERY CAREFUL whenever you remove the brittle from the microwave. Both the bowl and the candy is very hot and will leave a nasty burn.






Stir in peanuts and then microwave 2 to 5 minutes, stirring after 2 and 4 minutes until syrup and peanuts are lightly browned. This is the most important step! You do not want to under or over cook the candy.







In the mean time mix butter, vanilla, and soda together in a prep bowl.







Stir in butter, vanilla, and soda until light and foamy.













Spread to 1/4 inch thickness on large well buttered cookie sheet.








Break into bite-sized pieces once cooled.


Once you've made it with peanuts, get brave and experiment with other nuts. I love cashew brittle!

3 comments:

the Wild One in the DC area said...

Sara,

That looks and sounds great. May have to try it in the new year.

Jill(aka jwilds13)

Anonymous said...

oh gosh I think I could actually DO that!!! how yummy!!!!!!!

_ said...

Your candy looks delicious! My dad loves peanut brittle...I'll have to give your recipe a try.