Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Review: Le Papillon & The Lake House


Le Papillon (the Butterfly) is a story about an old man, Julien who collects butterflies and a child who is neglected by her mother. Else, the little girl, stows away in Julien's car and they end up bonding while hunting the rare Isabella butterfly across the French countryside. I was nervous at times when the story would flash back to the mother because she and the police felt that Else had been abducted and I worried that Julien would end up in trouble once they returned home. Without giving anything away, the story ended leaving me feeling satisfied and happy. It is in French with English subtitles which I know is off-putting to some people but it really was such a genuinely sweet movie, it's worth putting up with the subtitles. Hollywood doesn't seem to know how to make a flim like this.



Now The Lake House. This movie made me think of a mixture of Love Letters and The Butterfly Effect. It's the story of a couple who meet across the span of time - two years to be exact - through their letters that are left in the mailbox at the lake house where they've both lived at some point. I figured out pretty early on what was going on and I worried that I was watching a movie with a lousy ending but yet again without giving anything away the story left me feeling satisfied and happy. I'm sure there are people out there who could pick the reality of the story to pieces, finding flaws and contradictions everywhere but really it's a nice romantic story and well worth the two hours.

1 comment:

. said...

Oohh now I *really* want to see lake house!