Sunday, October 22, 2006

Visit with Mamaw and Papaw

Yesterday we had a nice day visiting with Steve's grandparents, Mamaw and Papaw. They're snowbirds and early next month they'll be heading to Florida for the winter. Mamaw made Chicken N' Dumplins and Papaw pulled out the tractor and wagon. S3 was thrilled to have wheels, even if they'd only go 2 mph.

(Cell phone photo, sorry for the poor quality)

Mamaw gave me a "cheater's" version of chicken n' dumplins knowing that I am not much of a cook. I'll share it with you:

First take chicken on the bone and boil it in just enough water (you can also use broth) to cover the chicken. Once it's cooked (about 30 minutes usually), take the chicken out of the water but don't throw away all the water. When you drain some of the water out, try to keep the fatty parts. Debone the chicken and dice it up into chunks. I make them bite sized since I still have little kids. Keeps me from having to cut them up later at dinner time. Throw the diced up chicken back into the pot and then make dumplins. Now Mamaw doesn't make bisquick dumplins but she knows I don't cook so she decided this would be easiest and be the most like what she makes.

Bisquick Dumplins:
3/4 cup milk
2 cups Bisquick

Mix milk and Bisquick thoroughly with fork. Drop by spoonsful onto chicken. Cook over low heat for 10 minutes or until dumplins are fluffy. The starch in the dumplins thickens the water in the chicken into gravy. You can also add potatoes but I prefer them without. Season to taste.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful day! And that's a great photo for being taken with a phone...I would have never guessed. And chicken and dumplings is one of my favorite meals. Yum yum!