Monday, October 16, 2006

The Great Shoe Hunt

G wears a dress as her uniform for school so I like to put a little dressier shoe on her. The first year I bought a rubber soled Mary Jane thinking she could wear it for gym also. I know I spent a pretty penny making sure they were good sturdy shoes only to find out they wouldn't let her wear them - something about her ankle. So ever since I have been on a hunt to find a sneaker that doesn't look so stupid with a dress. The Mennonite (Amish-like religion) girls in this area wear sneakers with their dresses and I detest the way it looks. Tonight I found out the girls are allowed to wear Crocks for gym class. This to me is a total load of BS. I am just beside myself that they can wear an open back piece of plastic crap on their feet for gym but not a sturdy rubber-soled shoe.

I digress.

Tonight we found a Sketcher that was kinda cute and I thought it might work. So I find a sales guy and I could tell from my first look at him that we were about to have an experience. The guy looked pretty normal but I just got that freak vibe from him.

I handed him the shoe and told him that I didn't know what size G would need and I asked him if he would measure her foot. His response?


"It won't do any good."


I was like...
huh.gif

So he says, "I can measure her foot but these things can be off by an entire size so it won't do any good."


I'm thinking, ok
Loser if you say so. I won't mention that this has been the accepted way to measure a foot at least since I was a kid and I'm sure a lot longer than that. But I didn't say that. Instead I said, "Ok if you want to bring out this shoe in every size, that's fine but I don't know what size shoe she wears."

So he commences the foot measurer thingie hunt. He hunts and hunts and hunts. Finally I cried uncle and I had G take off her soccer cleat and look inside. "Look, it's a 1.5. Let's just start there."


With a massive look of relief on his face, he runs to the back with the shoe to find our starting size. In the mean time S3 looks under the chair he's sitting in and pulls out the
measurer thingie. Ty walks to the chairs across from us and pulls out a second one. Doh.

After a few minutes the guy comes back out and says, "Do you have a backup plan?"


Again I was like...
huh.gif

He says, "This shoe only starts at a 2.5. Do you have a backup plan?"


I'm thinking, yes to get the heck out of here
Loser but instead I said, "No, thank you." We walked to the other end of the mall where there is a Sears and bought the exact shoe in G's size.

3 comments:

. said...

wow that customer service sucked lol glad you were able to find a proper shoe, they are very cute!

mel said...

Goodness Gracious! Gotta love those loser sales people.

Miriam Pauline said...

obviously he wasn't working on commission! how maddening. glad you found the same shoe elsewhere.