Friday, October 27, 2006

That's It. I'm Convinced.

I had a new resident last night. Everyone warned me about this man. They said he's nasty. They said he throws punches. They said he's confused and makes no sense. They said he spaces out when you talk to him. He did none of these things for me. He was lucid, he was pleasant and he even kissed me on the cheek when I left this morning.

I'm 100% convinced now that it's all in the approach. Some of these aides treat the residents like dirt. It's horrible and sad and then they wonder why the residents get mean. Well they're never mean to me, ever. Even the really bad ones are usually pretty good for me. I think it's because I move slow and I speak to them with respect.

I know because they're so helpless that it's easy to think of them as manipulative children rather than the 80, 90 and even 100 year olds that they are. I also know that there aren't enough aides and rushing to get done is part of the job. However I usually let the resident set their own pace and I still manage to get my work finished. And I usually get a smile, a thank you and a hug for my efforts. For me, that's what makes the job worth having.

Ok, I'm off my soap box now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you, Sara. I wish there were more people like you caring for our elderly folks.

Miriam Pauline said...

You are just the kind of aide I prayed for when I worked in the nursing home. It takes less time to do the job right and with respect than to rush someone and make the patient worse and flustered in the long run. Why can't people see that?

Anyway, well done. The residents will remember you for the care you show (yes, even the ones who don't seem to know what is going on around them).

Margaret said...

Why can't more people be like you, Sara? I'm going to send your post to my husband who says he bases his medical practice on exactly those values that you hold!

Tammy said...

Sara,

I thank you for what you give of yourself to your job. I can only imagine it can get physically challenging and more than a little emotionally draining, but your approach is much appreciated.

I lived through my mother being admitted to hospital for nearly 4 years before she passed away. It was never an easy thing, but from time to time we'd come across a compassionate caring soul such as yourself and it was also so much easier on us, more importantly on my mother. From the bottom of my heart, I thank you.