Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Bug Hunt

My eldest child, a handsome boy of 12 years, has a particularly nasty school project coming due here soon. A bug collection. 25 bugs. At first I was flabbergasted that there even are twenty-five different bugs (keep in mind that a moth only counts once even if they're different kinds of moths) but now I realize that there are bugs everywhere. Ok, I have to stop thinking about it now.

Anyway, whenever I see a bug, I try to be brave for my child's sake and capture the creature to later be stored in my freezer (oh what a joy to go for some ice cream and have frozen bugs in ziplocs cascade out toward you). Last night at work I found a large black bug skittering down the hallway. I grabbed a plastic cup from the med cart and dropped it on the bug. Later the med nurse handed me a lid and I managed to swallow down my bile and scoop up the nasty little bugger. The med nurse said to me, "It's always interesting working with you Sara." Well I tried to keep this bug cup stored inconspicuously back behind the nurses' station but everyone at some point noticed and commented.

The family of one of our residents brought in a delicious Amish Friendship Breadfor the caregivers on 11 - 7 (which was incredibly thoughtful because we are the most forgotten shift) and I was shocked as every single one of my coworkers stated that they did not know what Amish Friendship Bread is. Shocked I tell you. For pity's sake, most of them grew up around Amish country. So I explained that it is a type of bread batter that is kept in a baggie or a bowl and it is fed every so often. After a few weeks, the bread batter is divided into three - one part to keep, one part to bake and one part to give to a friend. My friend C laughed and said, "You feed it? What on earth do you feed bread?"

Straight faced I answered, "Bugs. Why did you think I wanted to collect that one over there?"

5 comments:

Little Miss Flossy said...

Classic! That's a great comeback :-) My Mum used to have something similar when we were kids and make cakes/muffins out of it. No bugs though... might have really added something...

Miriam Pauline said...

ok, I just discovered you are blogging and I am rofl at this post. You are such a good mom. My mom would not help me when I had this assignment 20 years ago (gulp). Welcome to the blogsphere.
(momtogemma aka as mipa)

mel said...

ROFL! HAHAHAHAHA. You kill me.

Margaret said...

Margaret Laughs when she reads Sara's Blog!!!!

Megan said...

LOL! You deserve the Mom of the Year award for helping your son with his bug project - I'm not sure I could do it!